Check out the trip schedule below to see where you can go to help build a home. Click the country name for detailed information, including itinerary and trip costs.
Bolivia- La Paz
May 18-26, 2019
Volunteer on a New Global Village Project and offer a 'hand up' to Habitat For Humanity Bolivia's partner families.
Why should I go to Bolivia?
Habitat for Humanity Bolivia projects are focused on partnership with Bolivian families living in substandard and unhealthy conditions. Approximately 60% of the population of Bolivia does not have stable living conditions and lack access to health, education, housing, employment, and formal financial credit programs. There is also a deficit in the quality of housing and the environment. Many homes have been built without proper materials or construction practices. Most often they do not have any basic services needed to accommodate a family.
At Habitat for Humanity Bolivia, we support the repair, improvement, expansion, and construction of new homes through alliances with both public and private entities to promote community development. We believe that adequate housing can break the cycle of poverty for good.
To find our more about Habitat for Humanity Bolivia please visit their website here
Tell me about the Habitat for Humanity project in La Paz
HFH Bolivia’s ‘We are waiting for you at home’ project aims to improve housing for children receiving cancer treatment to ease their recovery and reduce the risks of associated diseases once they return home.
The project’s goal is to ensure children have adequate conditions once they return home, volunteers can expect to be moving bricks, rocks, water, and gravel. Other tasks may include mixing cement, digging trenches, or cutting and tying rebar.
What will my week look like?
- Saturday, May 18 – arrival in La Paz
- Sunday, May 18 – cultural activity and team orientation
- Mon- Thurs, May 20-23 – build days
- Friday, May 24- build day and farewell ceremony
- Saturday, May 25- Team debrief activities
- Sunday, May 26 – departure day
( the above itinerary may be subject to changes)
Where will I stay? What will I eat?
Our lodging will be at one of the local hotels (with double occupancy). Breakfast will be taken at the hotel, lunch at the build site and dinner at local restaurants. Snacks and water will be provided at the work site.
What will it cost?
The minimum individual donation to Habitat for this 9 day opportunity to build with Habitat Bolivia is approximately
$1,915 CAD(1), excluding Air Transportation(2) +$ 250 CAD for Team Debrief activities(3)
(there may be costs related to passports, visa and immunizations etc, which are responsibility of the volunteer and are not eligible for tax receipts)
(1) The Habitat individual donation covers all costs associated with hosting volunteers on the project site as well as support to the project and programs of the local HFH organization: room and board, ground transportation to and from build site, orientation materials, traveler’s medical insurance, and a donation to Habitat Bolivia and to Habitat for Humanity Canada Global Village programs. Habitat for Humanity Canada will issue a charitable donation tax receipt for this individual donation.
(2) Participants will need to independently arrange and pay for air transportation from their point of departure to La Paz . This must only be done once project dates and final project itinerary have been confirmed by the Team Leader. Habitat for Humanity Canada will issue a charitable donation tax receipt for the eligible airfare
(3) The costs of any Team Debrief activities are not eligible for a tax receipt and are not paid to Habitat for Humanity Canada.
Should volunteers need assistance with booking flights or Team Debrief activities, insurance or other services they may be interested in, the Team Leader will provide a list of travel agents registered with the Travel Industry Council of Ontario.
Meet the Team Leader: Rob Clairmont
My name is Rob Clairmont and I live in Ottawa and work as a project manager in IT. This will be my 4th Global Village trip and my first as team leader! I have participated in builds in Portugal, Lesotho and Cambodia as well as two builds in the Dominican Republic with another organization. I also manage a volunteer organization in Ottawa that helps out various local charitable organizations. Every build I have been on has been so fantastic in every way. For me, it is the people, the adventure, and the fun all combined with the joy of contributing in a very real way to a family in need. I’m hooked!
Please feel free to contact me at email@example.com if you would like to learn more about this project or apply now using our on-line application!